These Minecraft heroes brought lots of great content to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
On October 1, Nintendo revealed a new DLC character in SSBU - after many rumors and three-month anticipation, gamers get Minecraft heroes Steve, Alex, Zombie, and Enderman. That reveal video was short and caused lots of excitement. A bit later, on October 3, Mr. Sakurai made a proper presentation, with a detailed explanation of everything added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and all the features of the Minecraft fighters.
Mr. Sakurai Presents Minecraft Steve and Alex in SSBU
Here is a summary of the presentation.
First of all… it was absolutely awesome! Have you seen that square Kirby? And what about exploding opponents with TNT? But ok, let’s try to keep serious! These new characters may even change professional SSBU esports.
- Steve and Alex are technically one character with different skins. On the official site of the game, they are even grouped on one page and have one in-game number - 77. You can choose different skins/costumes for both.
- Zombie and Enderman are also skins. You can choose them for both primary Minecraft SSBU characters without really changing their abilities. Taunts from all the heroes are taken from the original game.
- Steve and Alex have a very low jump. They even can’t jump onto the platform on the Battlefield. But they can perform a midair jump and it will be higher. Also, Minecraft heroes have special wings to fly.
- Minecart is a very useful thing. You can place it on the stage and damage opponents with it. Steve and Alex need iron to make tracks.
- Minecraft heroes in SSBU fight with weapons/tools from their original game: sword, ax, pickaxe, and shovel. The weapons can be strengthened with different materials on the crafting table. Steve and Alex dig stages to get new materials - some places give only wood, but on others, you can obtain iron or diamond. For crafting tools, Minecraft heroes automatically use the best resources. With no weapons, their attacks are rather weak.
- You can create a magma block above the head or pour lava near the hero. What about that cool TNT to explode opponents?
- Steve and Alex can place various blocks and use them as a temporary platform. The blocks disappear soon and you can’t place them too far from the primary ground. For placing blocks, the game automatically takes the simplest materials in your collection. You can see available resources on a special icon (like the Limit Break icon for Cloud).
- SSBU gets a new stage - Minecraft World. It can be one of six biomes: Plains, Birch Forest, Savanna, Taiga, Snowy Tundra, and Stone Shore. Each biome contains specific types of plants and blocks, so this random choice before a match may even affect your playing style. At night, dangerous mobs appear on the stage - they burn in the daytime. All the biomes have breakable blocks.
- There will be no soundtrack from the original game Minecraft in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Masahiro Sakurai says such music would make players relax, and this is not good for a fighting game. The development team adds seven tracks from various Minecraft spin-off and mini-games - six of them are new arrangements.
- The game will contain quite a few new spirits. Look for them in the SSBU Spirit Board, the section of DLC spirit. In the reveal video, we saw Minecraft spirits of Zombie, Creeper, Skeleton, Slime, Enderman, Villager & Iron Golem, Ghast, and Piglin.
New Mii costumes in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
To add even more characters to the game, the development team created special costumes for Mii fighters. In the previous update, SSBU players got such guys as Heihachi Mishima from Tekken and Vault Boy from Fallout. This time, we have:
- Creeper from Minecraft (Brawler)
- Pig from Minecraft (Brawler)
- Diamond Armor from Minecraft (Swordfighter)
- Gil from the Tower of Druaga (Swordfighter)
- Bomberman (Brawler)
- Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes (Swordfighter) - so, the rumors weren’t totally false.
Mr. Sakurai showed amiibo of Hero and Joker, which were announced earlier and are available now. Also, he revealed three new figurines:
The Minecraft content will be available in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on October 13. You can purchase Steve / Alex individually (Challenger Pack 7) for $5.99 or as part of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter Pass vol. 2 that already has Min-Min and will get four new characters in the future.
This presentation was just WOW! The amount of content is incredible, and we at DashFight can’t wait to try out everything in the actual game.
And before that, we all can remember some game basics, common for all the characters. Please, check out our Super Smash Bros. Ultimate guide for beginners!