From the streets of Metro City to a prison and then to the mayor position - what a background for a Street Fighter V character!
You can find all sorts of characters in fighting games. This is one of the main features of the whole genre! Players can select someone, who they like as a personality, and then master his or her attacks, moves, and combos. Some Street Fighter players prefer such wild bests as Blanka or such mysterious creatures as Seth. Others select such seemingly simple guys as SF5 Cody - and all of them have good chances to reach the sweet level of success in the game!
If you consider selecting Street Fighter 5 Cody as your primary character, take a look at this guide on DashFight! Here, we describe something from Cody’s backstory and give detailed info on his moves list.
For beginners in the game, it might be interesting to check out the basic guide on How to Play Street Fighter V.
Metro City’s new mayor
Most of the Street Fighter characters are original, they were created especially for this fighting game series. Still, some personalities came from the other parts of the gaming multiverse (almost like in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate). Cody is one of such guys. His original games are Final Fight, a beat-em-up series that is also developed by Capcom.
Cody had a harsh but strengthening experience on the streets of Metro City. As a boy, he had a very powerful sense of justice and often fought against all sorts of evil. In the Final Fight game, he rescues his girlfriend Jessica. But then, he becomes accused of street fighting and a false crime, so he finds himself in jail. This was a life-changing experience for Cody. In fact, he liked to be in prison in a way and felt it as a proper place for him. But in the end, the guy decided to move forward and become a mayor of the city. Now, Cody often says he is not a good guy any longer, and still, you can see him fighting for justice.
Cody Street Fighter 5
The first SF game with Cody is Street Fighter Alpha 3. Then, you can meet him in Street Fighter IV and, of course, in Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition.
Cody SF5 leaves his “criminal” past behind and enjoys his new role of the mayor. You can feel this from his default fancy business costume.
Cody moves are strongly based on his beat-em-up origins. This fighter is very good in offense. Sometimes, Cody uses a bit of dirty tricks, such as throwing rocks and fighting with a knife or pipe - and still, he always prefers supporting good and fighting evil.
Basic attacks - SFV Cody guide
- Light Punch - it is a quick hit with the left hand. Jumping Light Punch is a somersault and a hit with the elbow.
- Medium Punch - Cody hits with his right hand. This attack is quite effective but takes more time to perform, and you can feel it without Cody SFV frame data.
- Heavy Punch is a very powerful uppercut. From the crouching position, this is just a strengthenen attack with the left hand. Jumping Hard Punch is a powerful hit from above.
- Light Kick - Kicks of Cody use the pattern of Punches. This is a quick hit with the left foot. From the crouching position, Cody hits very low. While jumping, Cody performs a somersault
- Medium Kick is a much stronger hit with the right foot.
- Heavy Kick - Cody kicks the head of his opponent. From the crouching position, the attack lands in the middle. While jumping, Cody hits with both feet.
Unique attacks - Cody SFV move list
- Axel Knuckle - press Forward and Heavy Punch.
- Hammer Kick - press Forward and Heavy Kick.
- Bad Spray - while recovering, press Up and any Punch.
- Sli Jab - press Light Punch twice.
- Crime Blow - press Light Punch three times.
- Final Combination - press Light Punch four times.
- Final Combo Throw - press Light Punch three times, Down, and one more Light Punch.
- Air Raid Punch - perform it when Cody jumps empty-handed. Press Medium Punch and then Heavy Punch.
- Air Raid Kick - perform it when Cody jumps. Press Medium Kick and then Heavy Kick.
- Crack Combination - press Forward with Heavy Kick and then Medium Punch/Kick.
- Burst Shot - with the knife, press Medium Punch and then Heavy Punch.
Special moves - SFV Cody combos
- Zonk Knuckle - hold and release any Punch.
- Tornado Sweep - make a quarter-circle movement with the stick and press any Punch (Cody should be empty-handed).
- Ruffian Kick - make a quarter-circle movement with the stick and press any Kick.
- Snipe Shot - with the knife in hands, press Heavy Punch/Kick.
- Anti-Air Snipe Shot - with the knife in hands, press down and Heavy Punch/Kick.
- Reload - press Heavy Punch/Kick before getting the knife.
- Rapid Fire - with the knife in hands, make a quarter-circle movement with the stick and press any Punch.
- Gentle Swing - with the pipe in hands, press Heavy Punch/Kick.
- Gentle Upper Swing - with the pipe in hands, press down and Heavy Punch/Kick.
- Bean Ball - with the pipe in hands, make a quarter-circle movement with the stick and press any Punch.
- Present Delivery - with the pipe in hands, make a quarter-circle movement with the stick and press any Punch, and then press Heavy Punch/Kick.
- Unluck Gift - with the pipe in hands, make a quarter-circle movement with the stick and press any Punch, and then press Down with Heavy Punch/Kick.
- Toss & Smash - with the pipe in hands, make a half-circle movement with the stick and press any Kick.
V-System - SFV Cody guide
- V-Skill I - Double Kick. Press Medium Punch/Kick.
- V-Skill II - Crime Sway (High). Press Medium Punch/Kick.
- V-Skill II - Wrench Fist. Perform Crime Sway and press any Punch.
- V-Skill II - Crime Sway (Low). Press Down with Medium Punch/Kick.
- V-Skill II - Lumber Sweep. Press Down with Medium Punch/Kick and then any Kick.
- V-Trigger I - Side Arm. Press Heavy Punch/Kick.
- V-Trigger II - Dirty Coach. Press Heavy Punch/Kick.
- V-Reversal - Prison Breaker. While guarding, press three Kicks.
Critical Art of Cody in Street Fighter V
- Criminal Punisher - make a quarter-circle movement with the stick twice and press any Punch.
It’s not hard to notice that many attacks of Cody repeat each other with different names - you make the same input with other conditions, and the fighter performs something new. We have the same pattern with many other characters.
To get Cody to your roster, you may need to unlock him for Fight Money. To learn how to play Cody, practice his attacks gradually, one after another. It’s not necessary to delve into SFV Cody frame data to play this guy successfully - the more you practice, the better you understand all the moves and use them effectively in the chaotic fights.
For more Street Fighter V guides and news, stay tuned to DashFight on Facebook, Twitter, and Discord.