After the addition of Android 21 Lab Coat to the DBFZ roster, this character has become almost essential for winning matches. Yes, the developers nerfed her a bit — but mostly to make Lab Coat legitimate for pro tournaments. This character is one of the strongest (if not the strongest one) in the current meta.
Of course, like any other fighter, Android 21 Lab Coat can demonstrate her full power only in skilled hands. Practice is needed to succeed with her. And this practice should be well-planned for max efficiency.
Traditionally for DashFight, we spread the words and deep knowledge on fighting games characters from the best esports professionals. And we are super happy to invite you guys to learn how to play Lab Coat from LegendaryyPred himself.
This guy is an essential part of top events with a lot of high placements. One of recent LegendaryyPred’s achievements is victory at Combo Breaker 2022 (with Lab Coat on the team).
For excellent buttons of Lab Coat in DBFZ fights, LegendaryyPred mentions:
- 2L is far-reaching and has 7 frames of startup. It is similar to 2L of the Majin form. 2LL has an 11-frame startup.
- 5L is also low hitting with 6 frames of startup. It’s negative on block. 5LL is a long mid, 9 frames of startup. If someone uses backdash, 5M can punish that.
- 5M is a two-hitting move. It’s -4 on block with 10 frames of startup. Lab Coat’s 5M is one of the best Mediums in the game.
- 2M is an 8-frame low. With it, you can get some unreactable mixups. The button is also safe on block.
If an opponent uses Guard Cancel against two-hitting moves (5M and 2M), Lab Coat can punish them. It is also true about Guard Cancel Vanish.
- 3H is another low-hitting move. No other character in the game has as many lows as Lab Coat.
- 6H is an overhead. It’s good despite being rather slow (27 frames of startup). In the mix with lows, this move makes Android 21 Lab Coat one of the hardest to block in DBFZ.
- 236H+S, Photon Pulse is a command grab Level 1 Super. It is hard to react to this move.
- 214S is another command grab. It can be used in Lab Coat’s combos.
LegendaryyPred says that the best button of this character is 5M because it hits high. That allows you to catch jumping opponents.
- 5S — Android 21 Lab Coat shoots five projectiles.
- j.S is probably an even better zoning tool. It comes with a big angle, so you can punish ki blasts. The landing lag is small.
- 236S is a good beam. It’s not the best in the game but still pretty decent.
- 22S is one of the best neutral moves. It’s a great tool against assists. It can protect from hits and simultaneously gain ki.
- 236H, Savory Slicer — with this Special Move, you can react to 5S and punish the opponent. This is a full-screen lariat. It is punishable on block, though. It’s a frame 1 anti-air move, so you can use it or 214H against Super Dash.
Android 21 Lab Coat has a lot of options. LegendaryyPred likes to do 5L into 214S; 5L into 236H+S; 5L -> 6H. It’s a good way to open up your opponent.
The full string is 2L -> 5L -> 5M -> 2M -> 3H. It has a gap, and if they mash, you will end up punishing them. You can go into 5H after 3H and then go to 22L, 22M, or 22H. You only get a combo out of 22M and H. With 22L, you need to use Vanish.
If an opponent uses Reflect, you can go 2L -> 5L -> 5LL (instead of 5M).
When an opponent expects 3H after 5M, you can go to stamp 22L. It jails, and it’s a low hit. This is a way to punish Reflect.
If you end your string with the lariat, use an assist to compensate for the minus on block.
Another mixup is doing Super Dash after 5M. You get a left-right mixup. And it can be low with some assists.
LegendaryyPred likes also doing 5M into 214S. Most opponents are scared to jump here because they expect to get 2M after 5M.
You might want to do the beam after 5H.
BnB Combos for Android 21 Lab Coat
LegendaryyPred demonstrates these combos for Lab Coat in DBFZ:
- 5L 5LL 5M 2M Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Jump j.L j.L j.2H SD j.L j.L JC j.L j.2H 214M
- 5L 5LL 5M 2M 3H Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Dash Jump j.L j.L j.L JC j.L j.L j.2H 214M
- 5L 5LL 5M 2M 3H 236M 5M 2M 5H Super Dash j.L j.L JC j.L j.L j2H 214M
- 214S 22H 5M 2M Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Jump Forward j.L j.L JC j.L j.L 214L lvl 3
- 214S 22H 5M 2M Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Jump Forward j.L j.L JC j.L j.L 214L Vanish DR
- 6H 3H Super Sash IAD j.L j.M Dash Jump j.L j.L j.J JC j.L j.L j.2H 214M
- 5L(whiff) 5LL 5M 2M Super Dash IAD j.L j.M jump j.L j.L j.2H SD j.L j.L JC j.L j.2H 214M
- 5L 5LL 5M 2M 3H 5H Super Dash j.L j.L JC j.L j.L j.2H 214M
- 5M 2M Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Dash Jump j.L j.L j.L JC j.L j.L j.S(4x) 214S
- 3H Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Dash Jump j.L j.L j.L JC j.L j.L j.2H 214M
- 214H Dash Up 22H 5M 2M 3H Super Dash IAD j.L j.M Dash Jump j.L j.L j.L JC j.L j.L j.2H 214S
Strengths and Weaknesses
Ki blast is one of the strengths for Lab Coat. You can use j.S against opponents with a good 5S. It covers a nice angle and has the smallest j.S landing lag among all the characters in the game.
She has many options, so it’s relatively easy for her to open up a blocking opponent.
The feature of debuffing your opponents is also very good, and it’s important to use it.
The lariat as a tool against ki blasts is a significant strength. The frame 1 anti-air invulnerability attribute for the lariat can be very helpful in a fight, and it’s a good alternative to 2H, which is invulnerable from frame 4.
Blockstrings of Android 21 Lab Coat are very good. She has one of the best staggers in the game. No other character has -4 on all Mediums.
The character can start a combo from anything.
LegendaryyPred doesn’t think Lab Coat has many weaknesses. But to name one, he mentions 5S, which is still very good. Otherwise, she has one of the best stuff in the game.