Take the power of Bowser under your control and win a lot of fights in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!
The personality of Bowser is so deep and has quite a few layers (yep, it’s true, this guy is not as simple as he tries to seem). On the surface, Bowser is a typical in-game villain. And he is perfect in this role. Kidnaping the princess for so many years and giving millions of players a motivation to start virtual adventures again and again - this is quite a villain art. Then, a bit deeper, Bowser is deep into the tragic love. He adores Peach but can’t accept her refusal. The next level is his loneliness. Mario hates Bowser, but maybe this huge mighty turtle is only looking for friends to play with and have fun together...
Wait a moment! Bowser is not so lonely already - he has so many friends and fun in the Super Smash Bros. series. Of course, they fight each other here, but that’s the core of this game. Who knows, maybe after such matches Bowser doesn’t feel sad and lonely, so he can continue his villain mission with fresh enthusiasm.
Let’s keep the multilayered world of Bowser for another occasion and concentrate on the Smash Ultimate Bowser Combos and Moves. Previously we made an SSBU guide for another powerful creature - Pokémon Incineroar.
You also might be interested in the SSBU Bowser matchup chart.
Like with other Super Smash Bros. Ultimate characters guides on DashFight, we start from a short acquaintance with the fighter. It’s not like Bowser needs any introduction - he is one of the most famous guys in the gaming culture. But it’s always nice to remind ourselves of the atmosphere around each SSBU fighter.
Before Super Smash Bros, Bowser has only one primary entertainment - to kidnap Princess Peach and wait for the fight with the rescuer Mario. He is a creation of the famous game designer and producer Shigeru Miyamoto. The first appearance of Bowser was in 1985 in the game Super Mario Bros. Then gamers enjoyed fighting against Bowser in lots of other Mario games. He is the King of the Koopas, dangerous turtles who also try to stop the famous plumber
The role of Bowser in this platformer is quite crucial. Usually, he is threatening the players throughout the game and waits for them in the final castle. Probably, he is training there to offer gamers a worthy boss battle.
Here are some very good games with Bowser:
- Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 for NES. Now, you can play them on the Nintendo 3DS or on the Nintendo Switch through the service Nintendo Online
- Super Mario World for SNES - it’s also on 3DS and Nintendo Online
- Super Mario 64 for Nintendo 64
- Super Mario Sunshine for GameCube
- New Super Mario Bros. 1 and 2 for Nintendo DS and 3DS
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- New Super Mario Bros. U for Wii U
- Super Mario Maker 1 and 2 for Nintendo 3DS and Switch
- Super Mario 3D World for Wii U and 3DS
- Super Mario Odyssey for Nintendo Switch
Bowser is such an iconic character that you can meet him in many other games - for example, in adventures of Yoshi or even in the missions of Bayonetta on the Wii U and Switch.
Bowser Super Smash Bros.
Most of his friends… or no, enemies from the Mario games were present in each installment of the Super Smash Bros. series. Bowser joined the battle in Super Smash Bros. Melee and stayed for every following game (imagine, Mr. Sakurai removes him - impossible! Bowser is not Waluigi)
Smash Ultimate Bowser Guide
In the Nintendo fighting, this character has specific features. First of all, Smash Ultimate Bowser is very heavy. His opponents should land a strong hit to push the guy off the platform. On the one hand, it’s an advantage. On the other, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Bowser may have serious difficulties in returning to the ground.
The weight makes this fighter difficult for out-of-the-platform battles. Still, this doesn’t mean he has problems with the air attacks. Smash Bowser can deal quite a lot of damage with jumping - just try to keep him close to the safety.
Attacks of Smash Bros Ultimate Bowser are quite powerful but have a big risk to be punished.
The same as with Banjo-Kazooie, it’s hard for Bowser to fight against small and quick characters (such as Sonic).
How to play Bowser Smash Ultimate
Button mashing in SSBU is much more forgiving than in other fighting games (Street Fighter V), but still, you will play much more effectively with a proper understanding of every attack. Get the knowledge from our Bowser Smash Ultimate guide and then convert it into your skills with dedicated (and of course fun) practice.
If you played the previous games, you will learn how to play Bowser easily. For example, Super Smash Bros Wii U moves are quite similar to the Ultimate ones.
For the general basic info about this fighting game, check out our post Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Guide for Beginners.
- Jab of Bowser Smash Bros Ultimate is two heavy punches with both hands.
- Dash Attack is a kick. The Koopa King slides towards the opponent. The victim is thrown into the air, so you can start a Bowser combo.
- Forward Tilt is a very strong punch. Bowser performs it with his full body, putting lots of strength into this attack.
- Up Tilt is an overhead hit. Manu SSBU players use this attack as part of a combo - they meet falling opponents.
- Down Tilt is a bit similar to Jab but it hits very low.
- With Neutral Air, the fighter makes a wheel in the air. He spins and can hit the opponent with all his limbs. It’s a good move for Bowser combos Smash Ultimate.
- Forward Air - Bowser jumps forward and hits with his claws. This attack covers a big distance and deals good damage.
- Back Air is a kind of opposite to Forward Smash - Bowser Ultimate performs a back kick with both feet.
- Up Air is a headbutt and a good anti-air attack. Practice to use it in Bowser Smash Ultimate combos.
- Down Air - Bowsers hides inside the shell and drops himself down, hitting the opponent with the spikes.
- Neutral Special - Fire Breath. Bowser is not Charizard but he also can breathe fire. The longer you hold B, the weaker this special attack becomes.
- Side Special - Flying Slam. It’s a very impressive attack. The fighter grabs his opponent, jumps with them quite high, and then slams them onto the platform.
- Up Special - Whirling Fortress. Bowser totally hides into his shell and spins fast. You can perform this Ultimate Bowser attack on the ground and in the air.
- Down Special - Bowser Bomb. Bowser jumps and then drops himself onto the platform. Bowser Down B is very powerful
- With Forward Smash, Bowser jumps a bit and hits the opponent with both feet. This kick is very powerful but has a long recovery period (you can find more info in our guide on SSBU Frame Data)
- In Up Smash, Bowser uses his spiky turtle shell. He spins and hits surrounding opponents. This Bowser smash attack activates a small jump.
- Down Smash is a swipe in two directions - first, Bowser hits someone in front of him and then behind.
- Giga Bowser Punch - with the gaming magic, Bowser becomes giant and then hits the opponent with an amazingly powerful punch. You will have a chance to aim.
How to get Bowser in Smash Ultimate
Play VS Mode, and Bowser will be the 3rd unlocked fighter.
For getting him in the Classic mode, complete it with Donkey Kong.
In the Adventure Mode: World of Light, Bowser is in the Molten Castle Dungeon.
So, now you know how to unlock Bowser in Smash Ultimate - it remains only to practice amazing Bowser combos!
Bowser in Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a very good character for beginners. His attacks are rather straightforward, and if you like his style, feel free to take the Koopa King in the fights and smash your opponents.
For more SSBU articles, stay tuned to DashFight on Facebook, Twitter, and Discord.