In the current power balance of DBFZ, Adult Gohan got some significant improvements, and he is often placed somewhere in the middle of tier lists. You need to love this character and be in tune with his fighting style to really benefit from having him on your team.
Still, Adult Gohan is good enough to be part of the top-most level of competition. For example, Wawa played the character in one of the teams during his successful Evo 2022 run.
So, why don't you give him a shot? Here is a pro guide that explains how to play Adult Gohan in DBFZ. The video was created by AlukardNY — a lab monster from New York, as he introduces himself. This player has Adult Gohan on his main team.
According to Alukard, Adult Gohan has one of the best buttons in the game.
- 5M — it’s an insane-reaching hit with a 9-frame startup.
- 2M — this attack has 12 frames of startup.
- 5H — the startup here is 11 frames. And it’s crazy as the attack is massive.
When Adult Gohan is on Level 1 of his Potential Unleashed, he has some unique normals:
- 3L — it’s a command normal with 9 frames of startup. It’s only -2 on block. And these negative two don't depend on how you use 3L, with holding the button or without that. This feature of different usage for 3L opens a lot of mix-up options.
- 3H — the startup here is 8 frames. It applies air invulnerability starting from frame 6. Unlike 2H, this move allows you to Jump Cancel.
Alukard says that 5M and 3H are his two favorite buttons for Adult Gohan. And Machine Gun Punch, 3L, is very close to them.
This move is nuts. 2L has a 7-frame startup, and it is 0 on block. This is pretty insane, as Adult Gohan can start with 2L and end with 2L. It is possible to use 2L in conjunction with 3L.
BnB Combos for Adult Gohan in DBFZ
Alukard demonstrates a few combos for this character. The starters strongly depend on the Potential Unleashed level.
With high levels, Adult Gohan gets some properties improved, such as Lights being faster or EX moves lasting longer.
Ultimate Back Attack, 214L/M/H, has significant changes with the growth of Potential Unleashed.
- 5L 2L 5M 5H SD j.M j.H j.236L (Hold L) 5L>5LL 236S SD j.L j.M j.2H (Jump) j.L>j.LL j.H 2S Assist Call Dragon Rush 236.M (two hits) 236.HS (Ender varies with Assist!!)
- 5M 2M 5H SD j.M j.H j.236L (Hold L) 5L>5LL 236S SD j.M j.H j.236L (Hold L) 5L 3H j.L j.M j.L (Super Jump) j.L>j.LL j.H 2S Assist Call Dragon Rush 236.M (two hits) 236.HS (Ender varies with Assist!!)
- 5L 2L 3L (Hold L) 5M 2M 3H (Jump) j.H j.236L (Hold L) 2L 3L(One Hit) 5M 3H (Super Jump) j.M j.L>j.L j.2H SD j.M j.L>j.L j.2H (Jump) j.L>j.L j.H 2S Assist Call Dragon Rush 236.M (two hits) 236.HS (Ender varies with Assist!!)
- 5M 2M 5H SD j.M j.H j.236 (Hold L) 2L 236.S SD j.M j.H j.236L (Hold L) 5L 3H (Super Jump) j.L j.M j.L (Jump) j.L>j.L j.H 2S Assist Call Dragon Rush 236.M (two hits) 236.HS (Ender varies with Assist!!)
Assist with Adult Gohan
A Assist of Adult Gohan has 18 frames of startup and applies 29 frames of blockstun. It allows you to do a pretty messed up Super Dash. It’s a classic Super Dash Assist, 50/50 in the corner, and every character loves it. You can hover on your opponent, cover them, and still be plus when you land. Also, Adult Gohan hits high with this Assist.
Alukard says that A Assist is way too strong to deny using it. But B Assist is also good if you want a mix-up assist. It has 45 frames of startup and applies 45 seconds of blockstun. Thanks to this, you can go crazy on your opponent.
C Assist is pretty good as well if you are into C Assists. Alukard doesn’t like using them because of the long cooldown. Adult Gohan has a strong beam, and it’s one of the better C Assists in the game. It covers the full screen, and if the beam hits, you get a full combo. The Assists start relatively fast, 33 frames of startup.
It’s a very unique Super of Adult Gohan. Different levels give the character different forms.
On Level 0, Adult Gohan has everything weaker. He doesn’t have access to 3L, his multi-punch move. The Dragon Punch is also shorter. The combos change to weaker versions, so Adult Gohan deals smaller damage.
With Level 1, the character does so much more: 3L, better DP, he can combo with his DP, etc. Arguably, the most important improvement is teleport with Light Ultimate Back Attack, 214L.
Level 3 gives a double air dash, similar to SS4 Gogeta.
With Level 5, Adult Gohan gets his normals connected in any order. It allows you to be very creative with combos and pressure.
The character keeps his Level 5 abilities on Level 7, but that effect expands, so you can cancel Special Moves into Special Moves. Also, you can do DP into a light, and this allows you to connect your wake-up option into a combo. This feature becomes even crazier in the corner.
On Level 7, Adult Gohan becomes probably the most broken character in the game.
Adult Gohan is a lot weaker in his Level 0 form. For example, opponents can use backdash against Gohan’s DP, which doesn’t really work on Level 1.
When the character is leveled-up, you should somewhat change your habits to adapt to his abilities.
What Does Adult Gohan Excel at?
With this character, you will have one of the best blockstrings in the game with endings on 0 or -1. So you can end your strings and just walk away or use an assist and do different things to open up your opponent.