Chun-Li is one of the first-ever strong female characters in the history of games, not a stereotypical “girl in a trouble”. She originally appeared in Street Fighter 2, and for some time the developers could not decide on her fighting style: they removed specific strikes, introduced new ones, then returned everything again to the original state and then reinvented the hero again. But there were two things with Chun-Li that remained unchanged (not her legs): a storm of kicks and unique charisma.
There’s one thing that all Street Fighter players will agree on: Chun-Li is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) characters in the game. And it this guide, we will try to tell you how to play Chun-Li including easy combos and tips.
Chun-Li SF5 Profile
Birthday: March, 1
Height: 169 cm
Occupation: Interpol Officer
Special skills: Shooting
Fighting style: Chinese martial arts
Likes: Crepes, fruits, candy, Western confectionery, her father, Ryu, Ken, Cammy, Guile, Li-Fen
Dislikes: M. Bison, crime, people who can't get to the point, indecisive and shady people, Shadaloo
Family: Dorai (father) Gen (master)
Rivals: Vega, Crimson Viper, M. Bison, Balrog, Juri, Urien, Birdie, Gen, Zangief, Dan, Sodom, Yun
Chun-Li's Biography and Story
Chun-Li was born in China and grew up raised by an honest and intelligent father. At the age of eighteen, following the precepts of her parent, she became a police detective and learned several languages. Strict and fair, nice and disciplined, kind-hearted, but ruthless to enemies — these words can describe Chun-Li. Years passed, and Chun-Li confidently walked up the career ladder using her muscular legs, climbing several steps at a time. By the age of 25, she had already worked at Interpol and conducted an investigation at the World Warrior Tournament, and after that, she became a special agent to fight against crime and exerted all possible forces to destroy the Shandaloo.
Cammy’s Pros and Cons
Decent normal moves and damage
|Below average HP|
|Can link Light Attack into Medium Attack||Floaty jump|
|#2 walkspeed in the game||Kikkoken is a charge move which dissipates the farther it travels|
|Great at zoning|
|V-Gauge fills up quickly but depletes very slowly|
|V-Trigger will turn Chun-Li into a locomotive|
Chun-Li SF5 Gameplay
Playing Chun-Li is very simple: just go and strike, better with your legs. It is for the gameplay non-triviality and character’s universality that professionals love her. Chun-Li can fight at a long distance, can break an opponent point-blank, she is quick and prefers to do ten quick kicks rather than one heavy, but a very powerful one. Chun-Li can counteract air attacks, she also can push the enemy into corners well. Yes, her combos require memorization and honing for many hours, but such effort pays off very well. She has a large arsenal, so it remains only to understand when and what to use.
Chun-Li's Move List
- Light Punch is a lightning-quick attack, which is great to end combos with. Well, the damage is low, but combining works great.
- Medium Punch links well with Light Attacks
- Heavy Punch works as a long-range poke. A great one to end combos. Mind the timings!
- Light Kick is her signature. Use it only to counter air attacks.
- Medium Kick will be one of your mains: it does damage, it is used almost everywhere, great in combining.
- Heavy Kick works at a long-range, but doesn't hit crouching opponents!
Chun-Li's Unique Moves/Commands
- Tsuitotsuken suits great as a constant spam strike, because it is a damage-dealing mid-ranged poke.
- Hakkei is a Crush Counter. Turn your V-Trigger afterwards and just beat the hell out of your opponent.
- Chun-Li's overhead is Senenshu. It is not that quick, but works amazing when V-Trigger is ON.
Chun-Li's Special Moves
This skill is used to zone opponents. Note that the versions travel distance differs: Light travels more but slowly, Heavy will go faster but little. Chun-Li’s Kikoken combo is not very good for ending the combos. Also, it’s EX is not pretty good, so don’t stick to it.
Hyakuretsukyaku will be your very main. Also, it’s Chun-Li’s trademark and signature move. Air version is great because Chun-Li won’t need to jump to the highest point to start and will perform it faster.
Spinning Bird Kick
Spinning Bird Kick is a very important strike. SBK is great at ending combos because it will stun your opponent in the end so you will have time to recover (besides doing a huge pile of damage).
Chun-Li's V-Trigger Renkiko
Chun Li prepares to fight in a new martial art pose. Now you can see blue energy shining and whirling near her, which means Chun-Li's V-Trigger is ON. It will last for 16 seconds.
All in all, her V-Trigger boosts every attack Chun-Li has. We mean, every: normals, specials, and uniques will be buffed in very specific ways. Moreover, Chun-Li's Medium attacks will do 2 hits and Heavy attacks will do 3 hits. Also, obviously, her damage will increse hugely, as well as her frame data.
Here's the list of Chun-Li's V-Trigger Modifyers:
- Crouching light punch will become Crouching Medium kick.
- Overhead attack will become Light Punch.
- Standing Medium punch will turn into Crouching Hard Punch.
- Hakkei (Back + Heavy Punch) will now ignore projectiles.
- Tenkukyaku (Back + Heavy Kick) will be Crouching Heavy Kick.
- Three Yosokyakus (Down + Medium Kick in air) will become Lightning kicks
And a decent Chun-Li combo for V-Trigger:
- Heavy Kick + V-skill + Three Yosokayku (Down + Medium Kick) + Jumping Heavy Kick + Critical Art; Critical Art can whiff. You are able to do 508 damage!
Chun Li’s V-Trigger, Renkiko, turns her into an unstoppable locomotive. You can perform heartstopping combos, do a lot of different frame-traps, can push the enemy into corner and just destroy them.
How to play Chun-Li?
Our Chun-Li guide can help to learn how to play. It's quite simple: use your footsies, attack and be aggressive, push and be prepared to catch counters. Chun-Li has strong counter airs and she moves fast. Her combos are your main weapon so just hone them on training grounds and everything will be fine.
Chun-Li Street Fighter 5 Combos List
Chun-Li's combo list is huge. Read, learn, and practice — only this way you can win!
- st - standing
- cr - crouching
- j - jumping
- nj - neutral jumping
- df - down-forward or crouch + forward
- b - back
- LP - light punch
- MP - medium punch
- HP - heavy punch
- LK - light kick
- MK - medium kick
- HK - heavy kick
- Legs - Hyakuretsukyaku
- SBK - Spinning Bird Kick
HIT THEM HARD
- cr.LP, st.MP, cr.MK > HK/EX Legs
- cr.HP > LK Legs, cr.LP > LK SBK
- cr.LP, st.MP, cr.MK > LK/MK SBK
- cr.LP, cr.LP, st.LP > LK SBK
- cr.HP > HK SBK
- cr. HP > HP Kikkoken
- V-Skill > Air LK/MK/HK Legs
- V-Skill, d.MK, d.MK > Air LK/MK/HK/Legs
- V-Skill, d.MK, d.MK, d.MK > Air EX Legs
- j.HP/HK, b.HP, > HP Kikkoken > Hoyoukusen
- j.HP/HK, b.HP, > HK Legs (cancel quickly) > Hoyoukusen
- anti-air b.HK, cr.HK
- anti-air b.HK > EX Legs
- anti-air b.HK, b.HP > Hoyoukusen
- j.HP/HK > V-Skill, d.MK, d.MK, d.MK, nj.HP/HK > (land) Hoyoukusen
- df.MK, cr.LP, cr.MK > MK SBK
- f.HK, cr.LP, cr.MK > MK SBK
- b.HP, dash, BnB 1 or 3
- st.HK, dash, BnB 1 or 3
AIR TO AIR
- j.MP > Air LK/MK/HK/EX Legs
- j.HP (1 hit only), d.MK, d.MK, d.MK > Air EX Legs
- cr.LP, cr.MK > HP Kikkoken
That’s it! Thanks for reading and remember: practice makes perfect!