The competitive world of Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate can be brutal and unforgiving. With three dozen characters, the threats of each matchup are hidden amidst the endless combos, strings, and variants. This is the stage where children become adults. Ok, maybe that was a bit dramatic, but there is a nickel of truth. Competitive MK11 does have an extensive roster that most pro players have mastered or at least known how to counter with their mains.
For this reason, here at DashFight, we partnered up with the top talent in the scene, in this case Jordan "VideoGamezYo" James, to bring you the knowledge you will need to master the rugged one-man army that is Rambo.
Rambo's Best Buttons
The Best Buttons are the key moves for the character. You are likely to want to use or see these in play as players or opponents since they offer the best neutral, anti-air, pressure value, or some other benefit.
- B1 - Mid with decent range but a bit slower.
- B2 - Mid with a great string and cancellable.
- D3 - Poke for offenses.
- F4 - Safe on block, most of the time, and armor breaker KB.
- F1 - Mid with good string follow-up.
- D1 - Good poke.
- B3 - Decent range mid with extensions and cancels.
Rambo's Best Variations
Since players can now use their custom Variations in tournament settings, there is no excuse not to learn what goes well together. So here is VideoGamezYo's Rambo variation specials ranking:
- Don't Push It (1, 2, 1+3)
- Expendable (F1, 2, 1+3)
- Nothing is Over (B3, 1+3)
- Snare Trap (DB3)
Gone are the days of smashing buttons and spamming that one combo we learned five years ago. Instead, if you want to compete or impress your mates, you have to go into each match with a Gameplan to carry through to victory. Here are your key principles:
- Your ability to control the screen is paramount to victory. Projectiles and traps are your go-to moves to punish your opponents.
- You will likely get beaten up in the neutral, lots of ways for your opponents to open a gap up close.
Rambo's Best Strings
No one wins on the back of single punches. Having a memorized list of the Best Strings you can use and change throughout the match will vastly improve your chances of coming out ahead.
- 1, 2, 1
- B1, 2, 1
- F1, 2, 1+3
- B2, 2, 1
- B2, 2, 4
- B3, 1+3
Rambo's Bread and Butter Combos
Knowing how to adapt to the changing landscape of a fight is important. That is why Combos play a crucial role in letting you shape it and extract the most out of your inputs. Here are the combos you should be looking to pull off:
- B3, 3, DB3, F3 B2, 2, 1, DB4
- B2, 2, DB3, F3 B2, 2, 1 DB4
- S1, 2, BF4
- F2, 1, BF4
Rambo's Guide Conclusion
John Rambo is not the bloodied, harden, brutal killer his movies would have you believe in MK11, but he is a very respectable zoner that can pile on the pressure at nearly every range on the screen. Just make sure to not gamble too much in the neutral or risk getting your face punched in.