Casual glass ceiling

Author avatar

odinjoinedthegame

Tue, Jul 20

The pic below is all my recent Tekken experience. I have been playing T7 for 3 years already, 4600 hours in, and recently it just feels like a chore. I've recently got a full-time job that is consuming a lot of my time and energy, so playing regularly is no longer an option for me. With that being said, I've been struggling to get past Byakko in ranked for the latest year, and honestly, I don't think I'm getting it. Now, I find myself shutting down the thoughts about playing, because I immediately picture myself railed in ranked. Should I persist, or getting past the casual level is unfeasible for me? Had anyone had the same thoughts lately?

My perspective as a relatively new player: Tekken

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

SeraphinoRage

Wed, Jul 21

When you'll feel like you have time for Tekken again, don't rush to ranked immediately, but try to analyze your past matches. You can even record some of them and watch again to see what mistakes you are making. Learn your matchups, especially unfavorable, and reenact them with CPU or your friend/sparring partner. It may take a while, but you'll get it eventually, King

Author avatar

tellmewhy

Wed, Jul 21
odinjoinedthegame:

I'm not ambitious enough to go to Evo or smth, but I used to hang around my local tournaments for a while before I landed a full-timer. I guess I just enjoy winning, especially when it comes to LAN. It is fun and was also hung on the sense of bonding I had in the community. But yeah, I guess I'm not much of a natural, still something dies inside me when I land on the same dude who already beaten me 9 times online

If sense of bonding was so important to you back then, maybe you should try to play casually with your friends or other Tekken players from around. It may make it more joyous and you could possibly learn something from them

Author avatar

odinjoinedthegame

Wed, Jul 21
Tempsestbon:

If playing the game feels like chore, you should give yourself some time off. I know, it is easy to get yourself on the dopamine hook of anticipating the win, but where's the point if it is not fun anymore? Maybe, if you take a break, you'll rediscover the pleasure of playing eventually?

Thank you, that actually seems sound

Author avatar

odinjoinedthegame

Wed, Jul 21
SeraphinoRage:

The question is, was getting past the casual level your priority even? From what I know, people who really excel in Tekken either work part-time or have a passive source of income. Of course, it is heavily dependent on things like your natural talent. Some people achieve in 50 hours what others can not in 1000, and they are able to balance competitive play with life/work well

I'm not ambitious enough to go to Evo or smth, but I used to hang around my local tournaments for a while before I landed a full-timer. I guess I just enjoy winning, especially when it comes to LAN. It is fun and was also hung on the sense of bonding I had in the community. But yeah, I guess I'm not much of a natural, still something dies inside me when I land on the same dude who already beaten me 9 times online

Author avatar

SeraphinoRage

Wed, Jul 21

The question is, was getting past the casual level your priority even? From what I know, people who really excel in Tekken either work part-time or have a passive source of income. Of course, it is heavily dependent on things like your natural talent. Some people achieve in 50 hours what others can not in 1000, and they are able to balance competitive play with life/work well

Author avatar

Tempsestbon

Wed, Jul 21

If playing the game feels like chore, you should give yourself some time off. I know, it is easy to get yourself on the dopamine hook of anticipating the win, but where's the point if it is not fun anymore? Maybe, if you take a break, you'll rediscover the pleasure of playing eventually?

Author avatar

deedisdone

Wed, Jul 21
vaporknight:

No, dude I'm slaying it every time I go to ranked

I AM FINE | Wojak | Know Your Meme

Создать Мем - I Know That Feel Bro

Author avatar

vaporknight

Wed, Jul 21
deedisdone:

Let me guess, each time after you watch competitive Tekken, you feel the urge to go back to ranked, so you're back at it again, win some matches, feel good, then run into someone 7 ranks above you, get pounded and quit in tears? 

No, dude I'm slaying it every time I go to ranked

I AM FINE | Wojak | Know Your Meme

Author avatar

deedisdone

Wed, Jul 21
vaporknight:

Dude... I know you're talking you, but I feel called out tbh. It is so accurate to how I feel about Tekken, minus the job. I recently caught myself thinking I feel way better watching high ranked Tekken, than actually playing it

Let me guess, each time after you watch competitive Tekken, you feel the urge to go back to ranked, so you're back at it again, win some matches, feel good, then run into someone 7 ranks above you, get pounded and quit in tears? 

Author avatar

vaporknight

Wed, Jul 21

Dude... I know you're talking you, but I feel called out tbh. It is so accurate to how I feel about Tekken, minus the job. I recently caught myself thinking I feel way better watching high ranked Tekken, than actually playing it