In the world of Mortal Kombat, there are very few characters with the fan support of Rain. But he is not just a fan favorite of the community; he is also a fascinating competitive character in all of his appearances in the MK universe. For Mortal Kombat 11, Ultimate players had to wait a long while before getting their hands on Rain. Many expected the Prince to land somewhere in the middle of the table as more details were released. But now that Rain has been unleashed on the roster, how do you actually play him?
Well, here at DashFight, we want to give you all that you'll need to start your illustrious Rain career with the help of none other than professional player Hamid Mustafayev aka MK_Azerbaijan. You can watch his full video here, linked below. You also have the option to come back here to refresh your memory with the detailed text guide.
Rain's Best Buttons
The Best Buttons are the key moves for the character. You are likely to want to use or see these in play as players or opponents since they offer the best neutral, anti-air, pressure value, or some other benefit.
- 1 - His fastest Attack.
- 2 - Good hitbox and ok anti-air.
- 3 - High attack with goo pushback on block.
- B1 - Great stagger.
- B2 - Best mid.
- B3 - Only low.
- F2 - Longest mid.
- F3 - Low crusher, great footies tool.
- F4 - Another good footies tool, but it can be problematic.
- D1 - Fastest poke.
- D3 - Best poke with good range.
- D4 - Has the same range as D3 for more damage but slower.
Rain's Best Variations
Since players can now use their custom Variations in tournament settings, there is no excuse not to learn what goes well together. So here is MK_Azerbaijan's Rain variation specials ranking:
- Geyser Palm (DB1)
- Hydroplane (DB3)
- Tidal Wave (DB3)
- Hydro Boost (BF4)
- Quantum Rift (DB4)
- Edenian Force (BF3)
- Quantum Slice (BF3)
Gone are the days of smashing buttons and spamming that one combo we learned five years ago. Instead, if you want to compete or impress your mates, you have to go into each match with a Gameplan to carry through to victory. Here are your key principles:
- Rain deprioritizes the idea of heavy combos in favor of a lot of throws and whiff punishes.
- Good control of the arena and high speeds with wave dashing will give you the advantage on the neutral.
- Rain's Katar will give you the remaining advantage on the neutral, forcing your opponents to respect you.
- You will have thoughts of "I am not getting enough damage for the effort I am putting in" you will have to live with that.
- When Rain gets pressured, it can be a pretty debilitating feeling. You have to use your mobility to avoid that.
Rain's Best Strings
No one wins on the back of single punches. Having a memorized list of the Best Strings you can use and change throughout the match will vastly improve your chances of coming out ahead.
- 1, 3, 3
- 1, 3, 4
- B2, 1, 2
- F2, D4
- B1, 4
- B3, 4
Rain's Bread and Butter Combos
Knowing how to adapt to the changing landscape of a fight is important. That is why Combos play a crucial role in letting you shape it and extract the most out of your inputs. Here are the combos you should be looking to pull off:
- 1, 3, 3, DB1, AMP, BACK DASH, 2, 4, 2, DB1
- 1, 3, 3, DB1, AMP, BACK DASH, 2, 4, 2, GRAB
- B2, 1, BF4, AMP, B1, 2, 4, 2, GRAB
- B2, 1, BF4, AMP, B1, 2, 4, 2, DB1
- 1, 3, 3, DB1, AMP, BACK DASH, 2, 4, 2, DB1, AMP, B3, 4
- B2, 1, BF4, AMP, B1, 2, 4, 2, DB1, AMP, B3, 4
- 2, 4, 2, BF4, AMP, J2, DASH, 2, 4, 2, DB1
- 2, 4, 2, BF4, AMP, J2, DASH, 2, 4, 2, GRAB
- 1, 3, 3, BF4, AMP, J3, B1, BF4, AMP, J3, B1, BF2
- B2, 1, BF4, AMP, J3, B1, 1, 3, 3, BF2
- B2, 1, D1, BF4, AMP, J2, 2, 4, 2, GRAB
Rain's Guide Conclusion
Rain is a very mobile character, and that is a double edge Katar. On the one hand, his mobility allows him to quickly punish whiffs and move around in the neutral to fish for mistakes. In order to have such good mobility, Rain lacks very meaty attacks that can cut chunks out of your opponent's health. Balancing the mental effort you put in setups with responding to your opponent's attempts to combat in the neutral is at the core of the character.