Fixing the story modes in fighting games

Author avatar

JacktheArchitect

Thu, Jun 3

Previously in this topic: I expressed the opinion about how MK11's praised cinematic story mode does not hold up to the standards of a good film and kind of undermines the experience of the actual fighting gameplay. 

Some of you, guys, were ok with MK11 approach, some others agreed with me. Some even brought up the idea that story modes could go extinct from fighting games, which I would not wish for under any circumstances. Why? Story mode and strong characterization of playable fighters was the thing that brought me into fighting games in the first place, and I would be very disappointed if it died out. 

What should we do then? This thread is for your ideas, speculations, and suggestions

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

GODCOMPLEX

Fri, Jun 4
vaporknight:

Sounds cool on paper, but I already see some problems with it:

1. The "lobby" where you are meant to walk in between fights may break the continuity of the game, and it is easy to make it feeling "off". I've seen similar things before. If you've ever played earlier Bandai Namco's Naruto Shippuden games from PS2, you should know there was a third-person story mode with a limited open world of a sort. It had platforming elements, mob fights done in a beat-em up manner and even some bosses (yes, Jiraya, I'm thinking of you, you cheeky overpowered bastard). This all felt incredibly cheap and jarringly different from what the core of the game was about (one on one fighting matches). Likewise, it was devastating for the continuity of the game. They did a more or less similar thing with Tekken 6, btw, and yes, it was bad

2. I can't see how the actual story is meant to be told here

3. If this is a game from an existing franchise, should the veteran players go through this tutorial of a sort to unlock their mains? What kind of bs would that be? 

Frankly, I believe that slightly different gameplay in the story mode can be beneficial to the game, if done right. Your examples do sound over-the-top in a way, and I believe that the lobby, hub or travelling area (name it) should be as minimalistic as possible (again - see Cuphead). 

As for the story elements, I thought it was implied by "jrpg" - dialogues in text boxes, preferably voiced

Your last point is very legit, tbh. We can just leave all the fighters unlocked in the versus mode and for online.

Author avatar

vaporknight

Thu, Jun 3
GODCOMPLEX:

I had a time imagining a story mode that would be made similarly to jrpg, instead of a cinematic campaign. Fighting games can be very similar to them in a sense. See, there's already a colorful cast of characters in place, events where different parties fight each other on various locations, the use of abilities etc. Why don't give players a certain cast of characters, set them on the journey, where they'd move between locations and between fights (like in Cuphead). As long as the player is fighting new enemies, they unlock new abilities for the cast and new characters for VS mode. In this way, you have a story mode that would be built in the service of gameplay and new player's skill progression 

Sounds cool on paper, but I already see some problems with it:

1. The "lobby" where you are meant to walk in between fights may break the continuity of the game, and it is easy to make it feeling "off". I've seen similar things before. If you've ever played earlier Bandai Namco's Naruto Shippuden games from PS2, you should know there was a third-person story mode with a limited open world of a sort. It had platforming elements, mob fights done in a beat-em up manner and even some bosses (yes, Jiraya, I'm thinking of you, you cheeky overpowered bastard). This all felt incredibly cheap and jarringly different from what the core of the game was about (one on one fighting matches). Likewise, it was devastating for the continuity of the game. They did a more or less similar thing with Tekken 6, btw, and yes, it was bad

2. I can't see how the actual story is meant to be told here

3. If this is a game from an existing franchise, should the veteran players go through this tutorial of a sort to unlock their mains? What kind of bs would that be? 

Author avatar

GODCOMPLEX

Thu, Jun 3

I had a time imagining a story mode that would be made similarly to jrpg, instead of a cinematic campaign. Fighting games can be very similar to them in a sense. See, there's already a colorful cast of characters in place, events where different parties fight each other on various locations, the use of abilities etc. Why don't give players a certain cast of characters, set them on the journey, where they'd move between locations and between fights (like in Cuphead). As long as the player is fighting new enemies, they unlock new abilities for the cast and new characters for VS mode. In this way, you have a story mode that would be built in the service of gameplay and new player's skill progression 

Author avatar

OldGriff

Thu, Jun 3
nietstopsgroningen:

How about a Zack Snyder Cut of Peter's origin story?

How about we get a playable Peter first? Dammit, Capcom why do you never listen to the fans?

Author avatar

nietstopsgroningen

Thu, Jun 3
smellofnapalm:

INJECT PETER'S ORIGIN STORY ANIMATED SHORT INTO MY EYEBALLS. DO IT

He's a loose cannon Street Fighter cop on the edge with nothing to lose...  Peter's fan made trailer makes us wish he were on the SF5 roster

How about a Zack Snyder Cut of Peter's origin story?

Author avatar

smellofnapalm

Thu, Jun 3
Daigoisgod:

Dude, I would literally commit war crimes for the Overwatch-level quality Street Fighter animated shorts. That would be sooooooo much better than the shitshow we got in SFV story mode. Too bad, there are few video game studios that could afford a production budget and resources as Activision/Blizzard. CoD sales money goes brrrr

INJECT PETER'S ORIGIN STORY ANIMATED SHORT INTO MY EYEBALLS. DO IT

He's a loose cannon Street Fighter cop on the edge with nothing to lose...  Peter's fan made trailer makes us wish he were on the SF5 roster

Author avatar

Daigoisgod

Thu, Jun 3
statemandatedbasiccatwife:

I see how story mode is important to you, but if it is so hard to implement it in the actual game, maybe it should be a separate thing of its own? As an example: look what Blizzard did with Ovewatch. It is a purely a competitive online shooter, with no story mode at all, but even before it was released, Blizzard heated up the hype with their amazing animated shorts. They are able to reveal the details of the lore, flesh out the characters and set the story premise to the conflict that unfolds in gameplay, so the game doesn't lose anything without the story mode. You see, it is possible to keep the gameplay and the story as separated, but mutually important

Dude, I would literally commit war crimes for the Overwatch-level quality Street Fighter animated shorts. That would be sooooooo much better than the shitshow we got in SFV story mode. Too bad, there are few video game studios that could afford a production budget and resources as Activision/Blizzard. CoD sales money goes brrrr

Author avatar

JacktheArchitect

Thu, Jun 3

I see how story mode is important to you, but if it is so hard to implement it in the actual game, maybe it should be a separate thing of its own? As an example: look what Blizzard did with Ovewatch. It is a purely a competitive online shooter, with no story mode at all, but even before it was released, Blizzard heated up the hype with their amazing animated shorts. They are able to reveal the details of the lore, flesh out the characters and set the story premise to the conflict that unfolds in gameplay, so the game doesn't lose anything without the story mode. You see, it is possible to keep the gameplay and the story as separated, but mutually important

Hmmm, maybe you're right. I remember times when MK didn't have a semblance of a story mode, so we had to rely on other universe-related materials to piece the narrative. It would be silly to just regress to MK2 era, ofc, but keeping the game and the story in the separate mediums

Author avatar

DaddyDo

Thu, Jun 3

No, No. He's Got a Point | Know Your Meme

Author avatar

statemandatedbasiccatwife

Thu, Jun 3