Playing like a stoic

Author avatar

Gotoge_shintaro

Fri, Jun 18

I have recently came across the video and the related article about competitive play, upon which it was based. It describes the anxiety of the competitive play, that can lead to diminishing pleasure from the game itself and eventual burnout.

The original video creator was particularly talking about his divorce with League of Legends, because of the  stated reasons. I believe, it is also valid for fighting games, and other aspects of our lives where we try our best to compete.

If I was to condense the thesis of the video/article, it would go along the points of: 

• Casual playing for fun and competitive play are often juxtaposed. Both are thought to have mutually exclusive features. In this way, competitive play implies more engagement and intensity because of the imposed stakes, while lacking the joyous fun of the casual play.

• Competition brings the anxiety toll upon the competitors, making us irritable, nervous and leading to eventual burnout.

• Two modes of play do not have to mutually exclude one another, if we apply Stoic attitude. With this attitude, we have to focus on the things within our control, while distancing ourselves from that which is outside it. This includes ranks, prizes, recognition and other signs of success. 

• It is hard to achieve, but if we do so, we find ourselves in the flow state, when we can have the intensity of competition, high performance and joy of playing.

I personally find thus very inspiring not only for the competitive play, but for the life as well. Letting go of from the things that we can not control is hard, but it sure does bring relief. 

What is your take on that?

P.S. video and article are linked in red

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

hateref463

Sat, Jul 31

Easygoing playing for no particular reason and cutthroat play are regularly compared. Both are thought to have fundamentally unrelated highlights. Thusly, serious play infers greater commitment and power due to the forced stakes, while without the euphoric fun of the easygoing play and DOWNLOAD GAME

Author avatar

SeraphinoRage

Mon, Jun 21
Outofthisworld:

It is somehow more intuitive to me that fighting games are just prone to the thing that the maker of the video describes. You just can't blame your teammates for the loss in 1 on 1 play. You either accept that you're bad and focus on improvement, or you quit

Ahem, bad internet connection, bad netcode, spammy characters and rage-quits are still a thing. I appreciate that the post channels more mindful attitude to these things as well

Author avatar

Outofthisworld

Mon, Jun 21

It is somehow more intuitive to me that fighting games are just prone to the thing that the maker of the video describes. You just can't blame your teammates for the loss in 1 on 1 play. You either accept that you're bad and focus on improvement, or you quit

Author avatar

Daigoisgod

Mon, Jun 21

With regard to distancing from stakes of competition, as the article speaks, it reminds me of a part from Daigo's book, where he speaks of one challenging period in his career. After  the pressure to win started to take its toll on him, to the point when he stopped leaving his room for weeks while practicing he decided to make continuous growth rather the win, an end goal

Author avatar

Gotoge_shintaro

Mon, Jun 21
Podpivalka:

That's DOTA thing from my country's community. It just implies that I suck at the game. No tumors on them palms

Good to hear, because Stoicism is no chemo substitute, lol

Author avatar

Podpivalka

Mon, Jun 21
Gotoge_shintaro:

lebowski | The big lebowski, Jeff bridges, White russian

That's DOTA thing from my country's community. It just implies that I suck at the game. No tumors on them palms

Author avatar

Gotoge_shintaro

Mon, Jun 21
Podpivalka:

Can it cure me of my cancer hands tho? 

lebowski | The big lebowski, Jeff bridges, White russian

Author avatar

Podpivalka

Mon, Jun 21
Gotoge_shintaro:

Being a bit more stoic could spare your wallet sometimes, haha. But seriously, though, controllers were never cheap to begin with. Destroying one after no luck in ranked does look like anger issues tbf

Can it cure me of my cancer hands tho? 

Author avatar

Gotoge_shintaro

Mon, Jun 21
Sussus_Amogus:

Yeah, I guess mashing my controller on the floor after loosing to the fourth Kenshi in row in ranked MK9 was not very stoic of me

Being a bit more stoic could spare your wallet sometimes, haha. But seriously, though, controllers were never cheap to begin with. Destroying one after no luck in ranked does look like anger issues tbf

Author avatar

Sussus_Amogus

Mon, Jun 21

Yeah, I guess mashing my controller on the floor after loosing to the fourth Kenshi in row in ranked MK9 was not very stoic of me

Author avatar

dimas_pivas

Mon, Jun 21

I didn't understand a thing, but that's very interesting. Keep it up!