Appreciation of Smash Brawl story mode

Author avatar

cryingmoon

Wed, Jun 9

Ayo, peeps :) Newbie here, don't go too rough on me. So I was running through this forum and found this beautiful topic out there. A nice small discussion about the state of story modes in fighting games, which made me grateful for how the story mode is realized in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It has: 

• Beat-em-up against regular mobs

• Boss fights

• Branching storyline

• Co-op

It's practically a Kirby game packed together with SSBB, and I think it is amazing

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

KamuiSlayer

Wed, Jun 9

Co-op in Subspace Emissary was smooth as hell. You're first watching a cutscene, and then you invite the friend to take the second character over, and then you're just smashing together

Author avatar

seekanddestroy

Wed, Jun 9
rararasputin:

The bosses in this game were something else. Normally, it's just a playable character, but Nintendo just went all the way. Having to fight Petey Piranha to free Peach and Zelda from its cage-knuckles blew me away back in the days

I can't forget the final both fight against Tabuu. Not only it made me rage quit like 20 times, it was also trippy af. Like, the dude himself was an ethereal hologram, and the background were just straight DMT visuals

Author avatar

rararasputin

Wed, Jun 9

The bosses in this game were something else. Normally, it's just a playable character, but Nintendo just went all the way. Having to fight Petey Piranha to free Peach and Zelda from its cage-knuckles blew me away back in the days

Author avatar

clownworld

Wed, Jun 9

It was great! I guess, one of the reasons it was that good is the ancestry of Smash. Kirby, Mario and Nintendo DNA overall makes for a good mix of fighting and 2D-beatem-em-up. Brawl got it perfect. I don't understand, why they would drop it in Ultimate though

Author avatar

getinthegamerchairshinji

Wed, Jun 9

Oh, man, that brings up the memories. I genuinely think it won't get better than Brawl. SSBU is great, but its adventure mode is just a discount version of SSBB's at best