How relevant are tier lists in fighting games, generally?

Author avatar

Gemiddeldegenieter

Mon, May 31

Tier lists are a big part of discussion surrounding fighting games. If you are part of the community or even slightly interested in fg, chances are, you've already stumbled around various lists from pro-players, communities at FGC parts of Reddit, and here of course. 

My story is the one in which I tried to main Joker in MK11, because he was consistently around the top of the tier lists and played by pros like SonicFox. I thought I could have it easy in ranked play after some practice, but in reality I was constantly sucking up to Robocop and Rain players.

Eventually I took a break from the ranked game and tried playing Jax more casually, and it felt like a breath of fresh air. I am thinking about getting back to ranked now, and I feel myself much better not thinking about how "good" particular characters are, and just playing the one I really like. 

What do you think? Should I still consider picking someone more viable than Jax or should I stick to him? Should we make any judgements based on tier lists at all?

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

Outofthisworld

Mon, May 31

I say they can be very accurate sometimes, when describing the gaming zeitgeist. There was a point in Tekken 7, when Leroy was just released, and he instantly became an S-tier, because he realy was THAT overpowered at the time. You could see almost all the significant players switched to him at major events. In other cases, you can see tiers reflecting the situation in the competitive community more or less accurately

Author avatar

GETZOOKD

Mon, May 31

I'd argue, tier lists are a kind of the communication artifact here. We like to argue about which character is the coolest, who suck and so on. It is an easy way to spark a discussion, get views especially for content makers, and that's why we got a plague of tier lists for evrything at some point, starting with anime characters and ending with kitchen knives

Author avatar

getinthegamerchairshinji

Mon, May 31

In themselves, tier lists will not be very useful to you, but they are usually based on the favorable match-ups. Higher-ranked characters are most likely to be effective against most others, but it is never universal, though. What you want to do is learn against whom Jax is effective and not, and then practice with this knowledge in mind

Author avatar

Frikandelbroodje

Mon, May 31

Tier lists are complicated, more so that they always depend on the opinion leaders e.g. pro players, but also on the trends of how the game is played currently. It is vague most of the time, so you better do you ;)

Author avatar

gobacktokonohasasuke

Mon, May 31

You should definitely main whoever feels right to you. Unless you are in the higher leagues, it is more important to put your effort in the character that you enjoy