EVO 2021 expectations

Author avatar

gobacktokonohasasuke

Mon, Jun 14

So, Evo is almost around the corner, and I think it is about time for us to start hyping it up. Oh, and  another thing that's up already - it's the event's schedule.  

We are having Tekken 7, SF, MK11, and Guilty Gear Strive are on the main menu for August 6-8, and right now as I'm typing this, we are served appetizers of FGC Arcade Evo Editions, including all the aforementioned with GranBlue Fantasy: Versus. Also, everything is PS/PC only, and online, since Sony is the boss now. What do you think?

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

Tommyhuntergun

Mon, Jun 14
nietstopsgroningen:

In short, Evo's former president was accused of pedophilia and harassment. I don't want to recite the details here, but you can follow the link. I'm just saying, this, together with the pandemic, was already a solid case put Evo down for good. With this Hiroshima of reputational impact, Sony got Evo like an easy asset

Oooffff, that is one hell of a dumpster fire. Now, I bet, it's going to be exclusively online. If they want to keep the Evo brand, they should probably try their best to distance from the past practices

Author avatar

nietstopsgroningen

Mon, Jun 14
Tommyhuntergun:

Can you remind me, why wouldn't it be alive without Sony? Is this a pandemic thing?

In short, Evo's former president was accused of pedophilia and harassment. I don't want to recite the details here, but you can follow the link. I'm just saying, this, together with the pandemic, was already a solid case put Evo down for good. With this Hiroshima of reputational impact, Sony got Evo like an easy asset

Author avatar

Tommyhuntergun

Mon, Jun 14
nietstopsgroningen:

Let's all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Evo is alive at all, because it had great chances to be not. Sony did a lord's job there

Can you remind me, why wouldn't it be alive without Sony? Is this a pandemic thing?

Author avatar

nietstopsgroningen

Mon, Jun 14

Let's all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Evo is alive at all, because it had great chances to be not. Sony did a lord's job there

Author avatar

tossacoin

Mon, Jun 14
OldGriff:

Well, if you find it great how Evo grew over the years, shouldn't you be glad that it is going to be bigger than ever now that is more accessible? Not that I understand the whole "celebration" thing, cuz I'm in it for the professional matches only. Now that it is that easy to join, I think, we'll see more high-ranked players from all around

Not to say that I'm not happy about more people able to play now, but it just doesn't do the exact same thing I loved Evo for anymore

Author avatar

OldGriff

Mon, Jun 14
tossacoin:

Too bad, I can't give this more than one like. The way Evo grew from the geek party to this Mondial of fighting games, and how it showed in the number of people present, always amazed me. I have watched it online before, and I definitely will. Even though, knowing that there will be no people to enjoy it irl kind of diminishes the experience for me

Well, if you find it great how Evo grew over the years, shouldn't you be glad that it is going to be bigger than ever now that is more accessible? Not that I understand the whole "celebration" thing, cuz I'm in it for the professional matches only. Now that it is that easy to join, I think, we'll see more high-ranked players from all around

Author avatar

tossacoin

Mon, Jun 14
SeraphinoRage:

I don't know how I feel about the new online format :\. Evo has always been a big geek party to me, it's not only about who plays against whom, but this bigger atmosphere of conviviality, the celebration. More like E3 in a sense. And yes, I am perfectly aware that we are in a midst of the deadly pandemic right now, and online is a safety and accessibility measure for the players from abroad. Still, I am concerned with the potential for Evo to go online forever from now on

Too bad, I can't give this more than one like. The way Evo grew from the geek party to this Mondial of fighting games, and how it showed in the number of people present, always amazed me. I have watched it online before, and I definitely will. Even though, knowing that there will be no people to enjoy it irl kind of diminishes the experience for me

Author avatar

SeraphinoRage

Mon, Jun 14

I don't know how I feel about the new online format :\. Evo has always been a big geek party to me, it's not only about who plays against whom, but this bigger atmosphere of conviviality, the celebration. More like E3 in a sense. And yes, I am perfectly aware that we are in a midst of the deadly pandemic right now, and online is a safety and accessibility measure for the players from abroad. Still, I am concerned with the potential for Evo to go online forever from now on