A marriage of Olympics and (fighting games) esports?

Author avatar

Gotoge_shintaro

Fri, Jun 4

I have recently came across this article at DF. In short, it reports Intel to launch a 2021 Olympics-related event, featuring SFV. While technically, this event is not a part of Tokyo Olympics, it is built in the image, with players representing their respective countries. 

This one made me genuinely excited about the wider recognition of fightings and competitive video games in general as a sport, opposed to this almost marginal thing.  What do you think?

Comments

Author avatar
Share your thoughts
Author avatar

Blanc_Noir

Fri, Jun 4
deedisdone:

Does anyone know what actual relation this event has with the Olympics, except for the national representation format?

Apparently, the Olympic Committee is sponsoring this event, but it is organized by Intel exclusively and is not directly connected to the Olympics. We can, of course, speculate that this can be IOC testing the esports waters. They can announce the affiliation and see how publicity reacts to it

Author avatar

deedisdone

Fri, Jun 4

Does anyone know what actual relation this event has with the Olympics, except for the national representation format?

Author avatar

Daigoisgod

Fri, Jun 4
Gotoge_shintaro:

It would be nice if DF would be posting about the progression of the tournament. We could, ofc, do it all ourselves, but this thread would be a mess if we turned it it into the free info dump real estate. We can always request a thread for this

Author avatar

Gotoge_shintaro

Fri, Jun 4
Biggus_Floppus:

Sounds dope af, are there any news about who is competing? There have to be open qualifiers going on rn, I'd much like to be posted. Can you update the thread in a time?

It would be nice if DF would be posting about the progression of the tournament. We could, ofc, do it all ourselves, but this thread would be a mess if we turned it it into the free info dump real estate. We can always request a thread for this

Author avatar

Biggus_Floppus

Fri, Jun 4

Sounds dope af, are there any news about who is competing? There have to be open qualifiers going on rn, I'd much like to be posted. Can you update the thread in a time?

Author avatar

Tommyhuntergun

Fri, Jun 4
JuanAguilera:

The most recent thing I've read on the topic. Really, Olympic Committee has been considering a some form of virtual systems and entertainment integration, not to say games, in the Olympics. In practice, it's nothing like an Olympics Evo, but rather VR rowing and racing competition with Gran Turismo. I haven't found information about the Intel tournament that could be related to the Olympics directly, btw

> "It encourages sports partiicpation and promotes the Olympic values, with a special focus on youth" 

How do you do, fellow kids jpg

Author avatar

JuanAguilera

Fri, Jun 4

The most recent thing I've read on the topic. Really, Olympic Committee has been considering a some form of virtual systems and entertainment integration, not to say games, in the Olympics. In practice, it's nothing like an Olympics Evo, but rather VR rowing and racing competition with Gran Turismo. I haven't found information about the Intel tournament that could be related to the Olympics directly, btw